We leave a light on in Kaylee’s room so we (I) don’t trip over something (like a sleeping cat) in the middle of the night on our way to gather her up and feed her. The bulb burnt out in the one I bought for her room and it has been next to impossible to find a replacement (Neither the one we bought at the store, or the one I just ordered online fit – this has been my worst Ikea purchase and also the most frustrating considering it took me forever to pick out that stupid lamp in the first place. Now I know to make sure I never buy something with a non-standard bulb size in the future). So, I grabbed one of the lamps from the spare bedroom and put it on her dresser. It looked cute, but was way to bright and the shade had seen better days. So, I recovered the lamp shade last weekend. It’s more of a lamp shade cozy really. I didn’t want to attach it directly to the current shade because I want to be able to take it off easily to wash it or switch it out if I ever get around to making her another crib sheet set. I also knew I wanted to use two pieces of fabric in the hopes of causing a softer glow rather than the harsh light it was currently giving off. I made the cover out of scraps left over from the crib bumper and some ribbon from our wedding. It came up a little short because I started out thinking I’d use a 1/4 inch seam allowance but ended up with a half inch so I could secure the ribbon a bit better. So, I just tucked a piece of contrasting fabric behind the gap – which works out because now it looks like the crib skirt. It was a super quick project – less than two hours from start to finish, and I’m happy with the way it turned out, imperfections and all.
P.S. I know I still need to fill the Ikea frame behind the lamp on the wall – I just can’t decide what I want to put inside. I also know I need to post pictures of the completed nursery…I’m getting to that too 🙂